Friday, March 03, 2006

Customer service

I don't know why this is (somebody should do a study on it because there's always an article about it), but customer service reps bring out the worst in me.

We're switching our local phone service and our new company made a mistake which delayed the delivery of our DSL package. We also were without phone service for a while yesterday so I spent an hour or so calling both our new and old phone companies, getting disconnected, receiving unanswered questions, etc. Most would agree this is a frustrating experience, but I act in such unkind ways when I don't get the answer I want. I expect perfection when I spend money for something. I'm glad my parishioners don't hold me to the same standard! (At least I don't think they do).

This "problem" is a problem of affluence. They're minor inconveniences as I live in my house, eat my food, drink my clean water, wear my clothes. We were without phone service for a few hours yet we had a cell phone, I could make calls from the church. I cringe when I think about my behavior.

My actions in these little daily events matter. I can't only be concerned with how I'm doing with the big-picture things, doing justice, proclaiming the Gospel, etc. My interaction with everyday individuals in everyday conversations form my faith, too. God shows up everywhere.

No comments: