Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Mail bonding

I'm certainly not saying anything new when I say that writing notes and letters is dying practice, especially among younger generations (including mine). I admire my wife, however, who is doing her best to keep this practice alive. She devotedly writes letters to her 104-year-old grandmother (who also writes her back) every 2 to 3 weeks and also drops notes to other friends and acquaintances. I read one of the responses to one of her notes this morning and it was jarring because it was really a note about nothing and, here it was, something that had actually been sent in the mail.

It was from her cousin, Amy. The note wasn't long, but Amy started off by discussing the wind outside her home ("I love a strong east wind, a 'Mary Poppins' wind as my mom used to say") and then asked Anne if she'd seen the movie, "The Chronicles of Narnia." Amy hadn't because she loved the books too much. That led to a comment about not watching the "Lord of the Rings" movies. She finished with another comment about the wind. That was it. It was so delightfully random, something you might send an e-mail about, but here it was with stamps on it and everything. It's the kind of note you save. I'm not sure how many e-mails are being saved these days.

No comments: